This is a non-exempt hourly position assigned to the Fire Prevention Bureau. Responsibilities include the protection and preservation of life and property for a safe community through fire prevention work to include conducting standard or specialized inspections of commercial, institutional, industrial, and educational facilities; delivering safety programs; tenant improvement plan reviews, fire investigation and enforcing all applicable local, state and federal safety code regulations and standards.
• Follows the Organization’s Mission, Values, and Departmental Expectations
• Performs onsite fire inspection and code compliance assignments per the adopted codes and applicable state and federal codes or regulations
• Provides written and verbal guidance to developers, planners, architects, engineers, attorneys, business owners or managers, and others in a competent and professional manner
• May perform plan reviews for tenant improvements, remodels and industrial processes (includes fire code plan review, suppression systems, fire alarms, etc.) as assigned
• Issues permits
• Performs and/or assists with fire investigation as assigned
• Coordinates and delivers public education and prevention programs as assigned
• Responsible for data management on all projects assigned
• Attends and participates in meetings and public events as assigned
• Coordinates with outside agencies, contractors, architects, other members of the Fire Prevention Bureau and building officials to establish fire safe premises through the development of relationships
• Follows SOP’s and procedures as developed by the District and Bureau
• Notifies response crews of significant known safety issues
• Remains current on codes and standards, inspection and plan review practices, and fire investigation techniques
• Balances the need for enforcement and education of the adopted codes
• Issues stop work orders, violation notices, and orders the abatement of fire hazards accurately and in accordance with the appropriate fire codes, regulations and District guidelines, with communication involving Director or supervisor
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• Be a self-starter with the ability to work independently, with limited supervision.
• Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing while demonstrating a professional demeanor and attitude.
• Have strong computer skills with knowledge of computers, tablets, and smart phones used in the profession and District.
• Must develop and maintain a positive, productive and professional interaction with the public under stressful conditions.
• Valid driver’s license and be insurable by the District’s insurance provider
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• An associate degree and/or 3 years with the fire service or background in a code enforcement related field
• State of Colorado Fire Inspector I
• International Code Council Fire Inspector I certification
Must obtain within the first year of employment:
• Must attain and maintain the State of Colorado Division of Fire Safety Fire Suppression System Inspector certification.
• Must attain and maintain hazmat awareness
• Must attain and maintain CPR certification
• Must attain ICS 100, 200
Physical demands include:
• Must be able to climb ladders
• Use and normal maintenance of office machines, (copier, computer, printer, fax, etc.);
• Handling of files weighing up to 20# including floor to waist and overhead lifting;
• Ability to lift, push and move objects weighing up to 50#;
• Ability to bend, stoop, stretch, reach, carry, grasp and turn objects;
• Ability to climb stairs; and stand, sit and walk for up to 60 minutes at a time;
• Frequent use of phone handset and repetitive use of hand & fingers to take messages, operate office equipment, use computer keyboard & computer mouse and to perform other office tasks;
• Able to read printed material & a computer monitor and to operate office equipment;
• Able to hear and communicate with others in person or through telephonic means;
• Ability to drive a department vehicle.
• Must comply with the organization’s wellness and fitness program.
We are an equal opportunity employer.